September 28, 2008

I Did Something Good...And Didn't Even Know It

I love my wife! She is truly an amazing woman. I've overheard comments about Michelle, about how she can do just about anything. Well that is no exaggeration! She really can do just about anything...not only do it but do it well. There are times when I wonder how I ever managed to con her into marrying me! I'm not always sure I'm able to measure up.

Saturday morning I went to the BYU "Lost and Found" sale to find some little treasure and maybe score a sweet deal on someone lost treasure. While I was scouting for a find Michelle called me up. I didn't mind the call but trying to hear what she had to say over the boom of the auctioneer was somewhat of a challenge. Michelle suggested that I leave the room while we talked...but with an arm full of unpaid merchandise I couldn't go very far...so I did the best I could. Through all the noise I managed to hear that she wanted to go to women's conference in the conference center. Well how often do you get such a wonderful opportunity. Not only that but she could go with some friends! That sounded like a pretty awesome deal and she has definitely earned some time off (from the boys) for good behavior so I was excited for her to go to the meeting. I didn't think it was that big of a deal but apparently it was. I did something good...and didn't even know it!

Michelle headed off to her meeting and I had all the boys. We had a blast playing the WII, eating tomato soup for dinner, playing in the park, taking bathes and (for me) putting the boys to bed. While bathing the boys I turned on the radio for some background (soothing) noise and managed to hear President Uchtdorf talking (I was hoping that I was listening to the end of women's conference...which it was). So instead of music I turned up the volume and (tried to) listened to the talk while bathing the boys. From what I did hear it was pretty powerful and guessing it was the end of the conference I sent a text message to Michelle. She was so excited to get the message (and her friend's husbands hadn't texted them) so once again I scored some brownie points. I did something good...and didn't even know it!

This morning I got up and discovered that 3 of my boys were already awake, playing quietly downstairs. I thought it best to let well enough alone. So I tried to read the lessons for church during this moment of peace and quiet. Well the boys got hungry before I was done reading and they came searching me out. They were so polite and asked me to get them breakfast as soon as I had finished reading the section I was on. Well you just can't say 'NO' to that so I finished the section and got breakfast going (cold cereal). The boys were just about finished with breakfast when mommy woke up and came out of the bedroom. She was so excited to be able to sleep in...but not just sleep in, the boys were being taken care of so she didn't wake up to a jungle. I did something good...and didn't even know it!

I'm very excited to know that these little things have meant a lot to Michelle. I didn't do them trying to impress her, they just seemed like the right thing to do at the time. I realize that there are some husbands out there who are much more sophisticated than I and would have done these thing intentionally and known they were doing something good. My greatest concern is that I miss the next opportunity, the one that really is important, because I didn't know to look for it. I feel like this happens a lot already (and I don't think I'm alone...there are probably a lot of other guys in the same boat)! On the other hand, maybe I'm starting to figure out a few of these subtle secrets to successful living. In any case, I'm excited that I got a few things right and Michelle was able to have a wonderful experience attending women's conference.

Comments