October 30, 2008

Family Night Around the Campfire

So there I am working on the computer when David pops his head in the doors, "Dad, can we have a fire tonight?" This happens on a regular basis (not everyday). Mostly he loves to play with matches and see stuff burn (I'm thinking that most boys fit into this category). Quite frequently we tell him "no" or "not today" or "on a different day" or something to deflect the idea to a later time. However, with bottling meat, holiday preparations, and life being crazy (in general) we hadn't prepared anything for dinner...and it was already after 6:00 pm. So I thought roasting hot dogs would kill 2 birds with 1 stone (dinner and a fire for the boys).

Michelle didn't have any objections so off we go! The boys are always eager to help chop the wood, create kindling, get matches and start the flames! It didn't take long before the fire was roaring and the hasty dinner items were brought out to the picnic table. We thought it would be great to let the kids start learning how to cook their own food so each boy (except Aleky) got a roasting stick and a hot dog and did their best (with coaching of course). Apparently it worked because they actually ate their dinner!

Every so often I hit that moment when I realize that my boys are growing up way too fast. There is always work to be done, something pressing that needs immediate attention, but that also includes my boys. They need my immediate attention and tonight I realized that I needed to spend some time with them. These are the memories that will last and will build our family bonds. We had a great time together and have one more Jones Family Memory.

Comments