October 1, 2008

Things Will Work Out

“It isn’t as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don’t worry. I say that to myself every morning. It will all work out. Put your trust in God and move forward with faith in the future. The Lord will not forsake us . . . if we will put our trust in Him, if we will pray to Him, if we will live worthy of His blessings, He will hear our prayers.” (President Gordon B. Hinckley)

What an inspirational quote!  Especially for those times that don't seem to be going our way.  I read this on a blog from one of my friends.  They shared this quote about the tears, fears and frustrations of their past few years but today those prayers have finally been answered.  I can't help but feel that they are somehow deserving of so many blessing.  This friend has waded through all sorts of emotional affliction in their desire to have children and so far those desires have gone unrewarded.  But this past month has seen an amazing answer to their prayers.  While not having birthed the child, they are now proud parents of a beautiful little girl.

I am left to ponder what blessing the Lord has in store for me.  On the one hand I already feel very blessed with my wonderful family.  I have an amazing wife who has more talent, compassion and love and who is always trying to give more than she has the ability to do; who always wants to help her friends and neighbors and who's constant complaint is that she doesn't have the time or means to do all the good things she feels should be done.  I have 4 amazingly exuberant boys who's love for life is unquenchable.  They are truly blessed with energy and enthusiasm but can be so reverent and polite and loving that you can't help but love them and be left in awe by them.

On the other hand, we have our struggles and trials like everyone else.  And there are times when life just doesn't seem to be fair to us, that we are getting the short end of the stick.  Quite often if feels like our efforts have been wasted on this project or that idea and we have nothing to show for our efforts.  There are those times when I feel like I've found myself in a rut and the harder I try the deeper the ruts grow.

So that quote by our late prophet really touches my heart.  Things are not as bad as they seem!  And things are going to get better if you keep trying and maintain your faith in God.  Life is wonderful and God is wonderful.  You will never be left alone; but sometimes the opportunity to grow is not appreciated and may even be painful.  At the end of the day we are growing and becoming better people.  So I remain constantly optimistic about the future and the opportunities that will come.  I'm excited that I have the chance to grow and hope that I'm learning the lessons that the Lord has given to me.  And I know that "this too shall pass."

Comments