June 15, 2011

Happy Birthday Michelle

These flowers came from our dear friend Amelia. And they certainly brightened Michelle's day! Thank you Amelia!

I took Michelle out on a date for her birthday. She didn't really plan on doing much since there were several things that were going on (like cub scouts for David) and we were going to celebrate here birthday this weekend when we could do so as a family.

Last week I had arranged for my sister Cheyenne to babysit the boys so we could escape for a few hours but Michelle had no knowledge of these plans. I wanted to surprise Michelle. However, I've learned that I don't do surprised very well and that women like anticipation over complete surprise. So I dropped Michelle a subtle hint by facebook.

She never got the message!!! In fact, Amelia was the one to spill the beans when she brought over the flowers and asked what we had planned for tonight. When I came home for my lunch break and took the opportunity to elaborate just a little bit more so that the excitement and anticipation could build.

Normally this would have worked like magic but I had a few obstacle to overcome before our magnificent date could even begin. First, Michelle's ultrasound had been rescheduled to today (everything checks out normal, in every respect and measurement). The appointment ran late and Cheyenne was waiting at the house for us to return. David's cub scouts; he had to attend since he passed off several more requirements this week and needed to get them recorded. And then being pregnant doesn't put anyone I know of in good spirits (the baby does but not being pregnant).

Michelle was excited to go when we finally got out of the house around 6:30 pm (which was only 90 minutes behind my planned schedule). We headed off knowing our children were in good hands and we could have some time to ourselves. We enjoyed a nice quite steak dinner at the Outback Steak House. There were only a few other customers there so we had excellent service and were out of there in a jiffy. We made it to the 7:55 showing of X-men: First Class and ran into some old friends from the ballroom dance team (watching the same movie). After the movie we headed home.

It wasn't the most fancy date ever but it was a break from the boys. That was the biggest present of all! We still have a small celebration this weekend but I was able to surprise Michelle with a simple birthday date and some time to ourselves.

I love you sweetheart, Happy Birthday!

Comments