February 25, 2009

Going to Work with Daddy

I had a fine outing with two of my boys. I had several errands to run yesterday and decided that I would take Donovan and Michael with me. It isn't every day that such an opportunity presents itself and I thought it would be a nice break for Michelle to get some things done around the house without the boys there.

So the three of us piled into the car and off we went. As we began our journey we headed towards Grandma Jones' house. At this point in life my boys think that the only reason for driving is to drive faster than anyone else on the road and win. I'm not sure what we win or where the race ends because we always need to drive faster than the next car. And so it was, "drive faster daddy" and "you need to beat him" we cheered as we drove down the road.

The boys were so full of excitement that they couldn't contain themselves. At grandma's house they ran to the door, until they heard the dog barking! They turned right around and ran back up the driveway. After that, they followed me into the house and made sure that I was always between them and the dog.

The next few stops were in stores and public buildings. Still full of energy they were running circles around the other patrons, jumping up on the chairs and sharing their joy with the world. We discovered that most people don't want to share that much joy at one time! So I corralled my two boys and explained that we needed to calm down and stand in line like the other people. While they calmed down I don't think they could understand the monotony.

We headed up to Traverse Mountain to place some For Sale signs at a couple of properties that I have recently listed. I think most people will agree that putting a sign in the yard isn't very glamorous and it certainly didn't impress my boys. They wanted to see inside the homes. Fortunately two of the homes were vacant so I let them in. The instant the doors were unlocked Donovan and Michael flew into the house, around the living room, up the stairs, into each bedroom, opening each door, back down the stairs and through the kitchen. It was then that they became very perplexed. "Where are the people?" It took them a little bit to understand that the homes were vacant and there were no people.

After seeing these two houses we stopped to see one of my friends who lives near by and whom I haven't seen in several years. I called Angie to get specific directions since I had never been to her house. I got some basic driving directions..."turn at the light, follow the road, take the first left then the next right, etc." We almost made it on the first try but alas, I had to call for some clarification before we were able to make it. I had a great visit and my boys made a new friend. The boys were having so much fun that I had to collect them from the neighbors yard when it was time to go.

Our errands lasted nearly 4 hours! I had so much fun spending that time with my boys. Both boys fell asleep on the way home even though they insisted that they weren't tired. I guess we just had so much fun that I finally tucked my boys out and that is hard to do.

Comments