November 13, 2008

Postcard Standards for the United State Post Office

Until today I never knew the specific requirements for a postcard (according the the USPS). I go on vacation and see small postcards and big postcards and I wouldn't think twice. Then I started sending out postcards for my business and all of a sudden I'm getting all sorts of postcards returned to me! I was shocked...so I googled it. Sure enough, my postcards exceeded the USPS standards (after I had already printed and successfully sent hundreds of postcards). So here are the postcard standards:
  • minimum size: 3.5 x 5 inches
  • maximum size: 4.25 x 6 inches
  • minimum thickness: .007 inches
  • maximum thickness: .25 inches
  • intermediate sizes are allowable

If the postcard is too small or too light it is undeliverable; if the postcard is too big or too heavy it qualifies for a different mail class and costs more money. Who knew?

Comments